Shaving is a classic, timeless grooming routine. Whether you’re a traditionalist or an experimenter, you have to decide between two types of shaving brushes: badger and synthetic.
If you’re curious about their differences and want to know which is better for your personal needs, this blog post is for you!
Benefits of Badger Brushes
Badger brushes are known for their superior quality and have been used for centuries. Badger bristles are soft yet firm, allowing them to lift and exfoliate your skin, which can help keep your face looking healthy and radiant. They also last up to 15-30 years.
They also hold more water than synthetic brushes, creating a more luxurious lather when used with shaving cream or soap. Not only do they lather well, but they also distribute the lather evenly across your face, ensuring a smooth shave.
Benefits of Synthetic Brushes
There are several advantages to consider when it comes to synthetic shaving brushes. First and foremost, synthetic brushes are incredibly durable and typically last for many years with proper care. They are also incredibly easy to use; the bristles don’t require any break-in period, making them ideal for those just starting with wet shaving.
Additionally, synthetic brushes don’t hold as much water as badger brushes, so they are great for those who don’t have time to wait for a lather to form. Furthermore, synthetic brushes are typically much more affordable than badger brushes, making them a fantastic option for those on a budget.
The Difference between Badger & Synthetic Brushes
When it comes to the difference between badger and synthetic brushes, the most noticeable one is in terms of exfoliation.
- Badger brushes are renowned for their exfoliating abilities, while synthetic brushes offer less resistance and are not as exfoliating.
- Badger brushes also require longer use to break them in and are more expensive than synthetic brushes.
- On the other hand, synthetic brushes are more durable, quicker drying, and easier to use. Moreover, they don’t require as much break-in period as badger brushes and are cost-effective.
- In addition, synthetic brushes are cruelty-free, which is something that many wet shavers look for when selecting their shaving brush.
Types of Badger Brushes
When it comes to badger shaving brushes, there are various types. Best badger brushes are made from the highest grade of hair and are noticeably softer than pure badger. Most modern best badger brushes are 3-band in appearance and are lighter in color than pure badger.
Super Badger is finer and softer than Best badger hair, but more of it is required for the brush, and it is, therefore, more expensive.
The ultimate in badger hair brushes is Silvertip – widely regarded as the Rolls Royce of shaving brushes.
Types of Synthetic Brushes
When it comes to synthetic brushes, there are several options available. The most popular synthetic brushes are Angel Hair, B&W, and Fendrihan.
- Angel Hair brushes have soft bristles and provide an incredibly comfortable shave.
- B&W Synthetic Shaving Brushes are designed to be extra soft and luxurious, providing a great shave experience.
- Fendrihan Synthetic Shaving Brushes are made with a special bristle blend designed to offer the best of both worlds; softness and strength.
These synthetic brushes are designed to provide superior performance and durability compared to boar brushes.
Cost Comparison between Badger & Synthetic Brushes
When it comes to cost, there is no clear winner between badger and synthetic shaving brushes. Badger brushes tend to be more expensive than their synthetic counterparts, but higher-quality brushes can cost up to $800. However, some inexpensive badger brushes are not of great quality.
On the other hand, synthetic brushes are cheaper than badger shaving brushes, but they still come with various price points depending on the brand. So whether you’re looking for an economical or luxurious option, you’re sure to find a brush that fits your budget.
In conclusion, there are pros and cons to both badger and synthetic shaving brushes. Both have unique benefits and drawbacks, so the best option depends on your individual needs and preferences.
- Badger brushes are softer and provide a more luxurious shaving experience, but they are more expensive and require more care.
- Synthetic brushes are less expensive, easier to care for, and more readily available, but they don’t provide the same luxurious experience as badger brushes.
Ultimately, the decision is yours to make.
Just because i'm asian does not mean I don't need shaving. I always wanted to grow a beard when I was young, now I need to shave because hair growth for me is a problem. I'm going through what every man will and has gone through before.